Ok, so i'm one day early to the party. But all the same, February will be here at the heels of midnight! Last month my main goals were to prepare for moving by:
- Adding $500.00 to our slush fund.
- Decluttering as much as possible.
I managed to blow both of these goals out of the water!! I started out the month by gifting my sister $1K towards here University expenses which set our slush fund down to $2684.00. A little lower then I tend to like having it, so I really wanted to bump up that number by as much as possible! Or slush fund (after depositing a few chqs this weekend) will be sitting at $5133.00.
How did I manage this huge jump?
- I made over $1K by selling items around the house (video game systems, household items, washing machine & fridge, craft supplies, etc...)
- Hubby gave me $775.00 in change from his "piggy bank" he had been saving.
- By saving all extra money after buying necessary items. (food, medical, etc..)
- Since we paid 3 months of rent within one week, (ouch!) we won't need to pay rent again until April.1st. That leaves a fair amount "left" each week to tuck away.
Once we're done paying for our movers & buying everything we need for the house (which is still quite a long list) I plan on moving anything that's left (over & beyond $2K back into our TFSA to make up for the first/last months rent we pulled from that account). I'm also going to call the bank to start regular weekly deposits into our TFSA once again next week. I just need to figure out what that magic number will be as we're not 100% sure how much a few of our new bills will be.
Here's what we still need to purchase:
- Bed frame for child #1
- Dresser for child #1
- Desk for child #2
- Something to organize a closet for child #2
- Deep freezer (7 cubic foot)
- Bathroom curtain & accessories
- Bathroom shelf
- End Table
- Floor Lamp for living room
- Bunk beds for girls *will put $100.00 WalMart gift-card towards these.
- Area rugs (x2) *here's one of them...
Here's what i've purchased for the house so far this month:
- Sewing table (used $150.00 instead of $680.00 for desk I had planned on purchasing)
- Computer desk ($50.00 IKEA used for child #1 instead of $200-$300)
- Queen sized pillow-top mattress (friend gave this to us for child #1 - savings of $300 minimum)
- Table lamp ($15.00 cherry wood, found used on a local FB group - Savings of $50+)
I feel that i'm forgetting something... but maybe not? Either way, I can't buy too much before we move or i'll have to pay the movers more to move it. So i'm trying to plan my purchase for approximately 1 week before we move so they arrive the following week. Just need to check delivery estimates, etc... and go from there. I'm still hoping to find a few more items gently used to save money as well.
As for my decluttering goal, we got rid of SO MUCH CRAP. Wow... most of it we sold and made a HUGE donation to the Canadian Diabetes Association. They are so awesome with picking everything up, we choose them time & time again! We are starting our move into a smaller home with a much lighter load and that is a huge relief to me! :)
Yesterday we received our 70 green moving bins from University Brand Movers, so we have already started to pack up some items! They honestly take up SO much room, I have no idea where we're going to put them all as we pack them. So far i've started a wall in front of our fireplace. They are heavy & strong though. I do love that the lids simply flap over & lock and there is no taping, no folding, no hoping the boxes don't tear. These weren't cheap mind you, we paid $242.00 for 3 weeks including tax & delivery. Still easier than trying to hunt down enough boxes, or buying enough boxes then having to deal with all the extra steps to assure they don't break, tear, etc...
So you know what my weekend will consist of... i've also decided to pack away my sewing stuff. I have absolutely NO room to leave it out, so it's getting packed. I think i'll make that my goal for today actually. I'll miss my sewing, but i'd rather not stress out about having it out and trying to save room for it. It's just not going to work. Once i'm able to dig everything out once again though I know i'll be happy, happy to play with my fabric again! :)
Well, I should run. Hubby is home and needs some breakfast, and I probably have lots & lots of laundry waiting for me to accomplish this weekend. Duty calls! Enjoy your weekend!
Did you reach your January goals?