With September quickly on the way I've decided to issue a savings challenge to myself for September! With our new budget kicking in we are currently setting aside $40/week into our Emergency Savings. In September I'd like to bulk that up by adding an extra $400 to that! So instead of putting in $160 into savings for the month, my goal is to put in a nice $560!
Starting on September 1st I'll give myself a $200 cash budget each week, for a grand total of $800 for the entire month to cover everything from food, to transportation, (excluding hubby's bus pass so he can get to & from work) misc. items, etc for our family of 6!
My rules are simple:
- No buying "stuff" of any kind. No clothes, books, fabric, toys, etc...
- Meds & fixed bills as always, are excluded.
- No "pre-stocking" up allowed. If I go out and spend $500 on food before I start, it's not much of a challenge is it? ;)
- I have a large custom order that will need to be sent out in September. Postage money is already set aside.
- Track every penny spent.
I also have a few personal goals & events happening in September that I'll have to work around.
My son is turning 18 on September 30th, *faint* and my sister turns 33 (?) on September 14th. Lucky for me, Dallas asked for a new computer game that has already been pre-ordered & paid for well over a month ago, and my sisters birthday present was a laptop for university. Soo... I may buy Dallas something "small" so he has a gift to open on his birthday and will make something or other for my sister. I still have some of ths weeks budget money left so will think about what I'd like to buy for Dallas!
I'll post my goals on September 1st as I'm not exactly sure what they are yet! ;)
Soooo, does anyone else want to join me this month to save some money to throw onto debt or pad your savings account a bit? I'm going to offer up a prize for one participant who does the following:
- Posts in the first couple of days of September what their savings goal is for September & links me up so I can count you in!
- Updates EACH WEEK on their blog & links back to me (or with me in the comments section for non-bloggers) with how they're doing with the challenge!
Here's what I'll offer up for a prize!
- An iPad, Kindle, or Kobo custom made case or a wallet of your choice in your favourite colours & design, along with a set of 4 handmade greeting cards in your choice of occasions! :)
Please join in & link me up to your challenge post! You can join in this Linky party until September 3rd! Have a great day!!