Sometimes you have unexpected guests pop in and the house isn't really in an "acceptable" condition. I try to keep my home inviting so i'm not embarrased with someone dropping in unexpectedly! I am far from Martha Stewart but I always try to keep my home "5 minutes from ready". In my books that means the main floor where guests would be are always (mostly) clean, or can be very quickly tidied up in a few minutes notice. In my home this includes the living room, dining room, kitchen & main bathroom.
Here are 6 ways how I try to keep my home "5 minutes from ready".
- Clear the clutter! Make these rooms off-limit for kids toys, piles of clutter, laundry baskets, etc... If you need to have "stuff" in these rooms but baskets or bins so you can organize it & keep it tidy. At the end of the day, gather anything that doesn't "belong" and put it away.
- Dust daily! Take a damp cloth & take 10 minutes to dust quickly. Dust accumulates so fast, especially with electronics! Keeping on top of it is your only option.
- Sweep & spot clean the floors! After the house is quiet & the kids are nestled in bed, give the floors a quick once over to keep them clear.
- Get rid of or pare down the "Knick-Knacks"! Owning less "stuff" makes cleaning faster & easier. If you have collections of "stuff" it's going to take a lot longer to keep that area clutter free & clean. On my coffee table I keep a little woven basket which holds our remotes & coasters. That's it. Our end tables have a lamp on them. That's it. Simplifying your home gives you freedom & time to focus on other things.
- Clean the kitchen after each meal! If you have a dishwasher, pile in the dishes as they're used, if not, rinse the dishes and stack them in the sink. Wipe down the appliances & counters as well after each meal is done.
- Give the bathroom a quick 10 minute scrub each night! Give the toilet a swish, spray & wipe down the counter and mirror. Put up fresh towels for the next day.
How do you keep your home "5 Minutes from Ready"?
Ps - My giveaway ends tonight!!!