A while back I posted about buying Large Family Logistics to help me get my "ducks in a row" and learn to manage my time better. I'm going to read 1 chapter a day, summarize it, then hopefully put it onto action! So far I've flipped through a few times & read chapters here & there, but I'll be carefully reading through chapter by chapter over the next month & absorbing what I read. I plan on taking personal notes & writing down my thoughts on what I've read with how I plan on putting it into practice.
Today I sat down & (re)read chapter one: The Wise Woman (you can click on the title to download a PDF of the first chapter!)
The first chapter completely focuses on the Proverbs 31 woman. The qualities she possesses, how she acts, the good deeds she does, how she runs her household, put others before herself, etc... If you're a Christian or even familiar with the Bible, I'm sure you already know who this amazing & inspiring woman is...
If not it is a letter that a King Lemuel's mother wrote advising him as to what to look for in a good wife. In essence telling him that an excellent wife is far more precious than jewels...
Kim goes on to discuss each quality of a Proverbs 31 woman and how we should aim to do the best we can in these areas. Not to *perfect* them, but simply to do the we can, that's all. :) Nobody is expecting perfection from us, not our husbands, our children or our friends. Usually we do of ourselves though don't we? I know I do, and that's really so silly as none of us here on earth are "perfect", that's for sure! But there is no reason why we all shouldn't try to be the best wife & mother we can be! :)
Here are a few key things I took away from the first chapter:
- A wise woman builds up our husband with love, respect, & trust. We were created to be his help meet, not to tear him down or make ourselves more important than him, nor are we to control our husbands.
- A wise woman works hard and doesn't waste her time with idleness when there are things around the home that need to be done.
- A wise woman helps others, especially the poor, needy, elderly, disabled, etc... Those who are not as able as we are. I feel very strongly on this one. I think a lot of people really don't understand or realize how very blessed we are!
- A wise woman speaks kindly, gently, and with wisdom. No yelling, snarky comments, or disrespect. Others will treat you in the same ways that you treat them.
- A wise woman is praised & adored by her husband & children. If your husband & children's interests are your best interest and you put them above all else, not only will they be blessed, you will be as well.
- A wise woman maintains her home & makes it a welcoming refuge for her family. Keep your home clean, uncluttered, and welcoming for your family. Home is where the heart is and nobody wants to live in a home from "Hoarders". *shudder*
- A wise woman works well with what she has in regards to her budget, her skills, her abilities, etc... whether you have a 6 figure budget or live off of a modest income, we need to learn to live within our means and live accordingly.
- A wise woman is happy & has a joyful attitude. If you're always miserable and in a bad mood, make no mistake, it will rub off on your husband & children!
Anyways, I'm off for the night! I'll be back in the morning with something or other, and back tomorrow night with a summary of chapter two if there's interest. :)
Are there any Proverbs 31 qualities that you're trying to achieve?