Here are the first parts of this tutorial...
1. Take your binding and put the 'raw' side against the edge of your mug rug as shown. The folded edge should be facing inwards.
2. Start about 3-4" down from the tip of your binding, and sew with a 1/4" seam as shown.
It get's a little tricky here for the mitered corners, but hopefully my photo's will be easy enough for you to follow along...
3. When you get close to the corner, fold over as shown with the tail of the binding pointing towards the right.
4. Now fold again pulling the right side over to the left as shown.
5. Now pull up this little corner and fold over so it points towards the left as shown.
6. Now sew down *almost* to the corner of the fabric, leaving about 1cm. then backstitch a few stitches.
7. Turn your mug rug as shown and your corner should look like this:
8. Now start sewing again, 1cm. from the corner at 1/4".
9. Continue on until you get all 4 corners done then stop before the 2 ends meet leaving about a 2" tail. It will look like this with your mitered corners.
I'll finish up this post here as these it's very photo heavy. I'll post the next step in the following post... stay tuned!