Today was my grocery shopping day... I hate grocery shopping on the weekend, so Thursday or Friday morning shopping trips are ideal for me as the store is usually not too busy and I can get in and out pretty fast. I like to shop at No Frills as they have nice produce, good prices, and it's a nice, clean store.
I'm aiming to keep our grocery budget at $180.00 per week for our family of 6. I have a personal goal to buy something extra every time I go grocery shopping and tuck it into the Food Bank donation bins in the stores as well this month.
Here's how I did today: (Green items are sale prices)
- $2.23 - Kaiser Buns *normally i'd make these, but hubby is going out tonight and wanted buns for sandwiches, and I had no time to make them as had to bring Mya to the Dr's this afternoon. Verdict: Bad ear infection. :(
Meat: *Amazing meat sales this week!
- $2.91 3 @ $.97 Buddig Lunch Meats
- $6.68 Boneless, skinless ch.breast (5 large breasts, 1kg in weight)
- $6.42 Boneless, skinless ch.breast (5 large breasts, 1kg in weight)
- $8.09 Pork loin half, sliced (This is huge! lol!)
- $5.82 Pork loin chops (thick sliced, 4 chops)
Produce: *No good sales this week except on snow peas.
- $2.47 Broccoli head
- $1.43 Brussel sprouts (about 18)
- $3.97 4 Peppers (red, yellow, orange combo)
- $3.67 Green seedless grapes
- $1.99 Sliced mushrooms
- $1.36 Yams (2)
- $.88 Snow peas
Grocery: *Great sales on pasta & pasta sauce, both are 1/2 price!
- $5.82 6 @ $.97 Unico 900g. Pasta Noodles
- $4.85 5 @ $.97 Hunts Thick n' Rich spaghetti sauce
- $4.97 Danone Activia Yogurt
- $5.97 Kraft Parmesan Cheese
- $3.90 2L 1% milk (bought this for my grandma)
- 2/$3.00 Nestea Iced tea
- $4.49 PC Ketchup
- $1.95 Granulated sugar
Total Spent: $82.87 ($97.13 left in the budget for food)
*I rarely ever use coupons, as most of the foods I buy never have coupons, so no coupon savings. We also don't have "store loyalty cards" or anything like that, so I try to shop the sales and add to that!
Food bank items today: Pkg. of Unico pasta noodles with a can of Hunts spaghetti sauce.
And because I didn't buy any "junk" foods there was no tax today! However, had I of bought cookies, gummies, chips, pop, pizza, frozen meals, etc... there would have been tax. Any processed/prepared foods are taxed here, real foods are not.
Loblaws has ground beef on sale so when hubby goes back to work i'll get him to grab me a couple of family sized pkgs to seperate and freeze as we have none in our freezer right now. I also need to grab freezer bags, milk, and Maria is asking me to have pizza for dinner one night. So if Loblaws has any frozen pizza on sale, we'll probably grab a few for dinner one night. It is NOT cheaper to make pizza for the amount my family eats, than to buy it unfortunately. It also takes me hours to make enough dough, so pizza we buy prepared, on sale. ;) Other than that, we should be good for the week! Now I need to add today's buys to my inventory list and figure out a meal plan for the week.
How much is your weekly grocery budget? Do you use coupons and/or have a store loyalty card? How do you save money at the grocery store?