Good morning! It's very dull & grey here so far today... I'm hoping it clears up a bit soon however 'cause Maria & I have a hair appointment at 10:30 that we walk to. It's not far at all, a 10-15 minute walk, but would be nice not to get there soaked all the same. Before then I need to get some housework done, laundry done, and get both of us ready and out the door on time.
When we get home I'll be feeding the kids lunch then we're heading out for the afternoon shopping with my friend who is visiting from AZ for a few days! Tonight we're going to see "The Secret Life of Pets" which looks absolutely hilarious! The kids are all excited and I'm hoping that it lives up to the previews they've shown! Sometimes the previews are the best part of the movie, I'm hoping this is not the case for this movie!
When we get home from the movies tonight I have some cooking/prep to do for tomorrow (food, snacks, clothes, etc...) and maybe some laundry, so I'm really hoping to get all that done at a half decent time so I can get some sleep tonight. I haven't slept much all week, so it would be nice to get a solids night sleep sooner than later!
Tomorrow is going to be exciting for the Mya & Maria as we're taking the train (first time for them!) to and from Toronto to Ripley's Aquarium. We're going to meet up with Dallas' girlfriend for the afternoon and hang out at the aquarium for the afternoon! *Note to self, charge Dh's point & shoot camera for the day! I debated bringing my DSLR with me, but it's just one more (heavy) thing I'd get stuck carrying all day, so a little point & shoot is the way to go this time!
Monday we're just going to hang out and we haven't made any plans yet as she flies out early Tuesday, so we'll probably end up just taking it easy for the day.
Anyways, needless to say, I won't be around much for the next few days, I'll snap pics to share though! Enjoy your weekend!!
Good morning! I'm sitting here with my coffee and today's "to do" list in front of me and it appears that I have a busy day ahead of me!
- Call Dr's before they close today Oopsie... I called, they closed early. Monday it is!
- Cut Dh's hair when he gets home from work
- Grocery list & shop for us
- Make hair appointments x2
- Shop and run any errands for FIL and Gma
- Laundry *at least 2 loads - naturally since I'm stuck in Ontario with the highest Hydro rates in North America, I can't even start the laundry until 7pm... Get kids to pick out what they're wearing to the Ripley's Aquarium on Sunday so I can be sure it's clean & dry!!
- Scrub bathroom 1 & 2.
- Clean out fridge
- Clean microwave
- Wipe down bakers racks in the kitchen
- Declutter main floor (aka: make kids put away all their crap)
- Swiffer floors
- Edit photos for Riley Blake blog hop!
- Canada Post run
- Finish pouch sitting on my desk
- Decide if I want to make myself a NCW for the weekend (these are just awesome... I don't have one for myself yet and I love that they're uber light but hold a lot of stuff! Would be very convenient and lighter than lugging around a purse during the summer months)
- Continue working on items for Zoey & Bean Fabrics (New sponsor! More details soon!)
- Purchase movie tickets for Saturday - finally going to see "The Secret Life of Pets"!
- Call the Diabetes Association to set up donation pick-up - this will get me in gear with going through my clothes and some stuff around the house!
- Open customs on my FB page. It would be nice to fill up the first 2 weeks of August! I have a few things on my list for August but room for more!
- Fold and put away basket of laundry that's been sitting in my living room for 2 days
- Make 'food list' for Sunday. We're taking a train to & from Toronto and packing food/snacks to bring with us.
- Clean & Oil Juki
- Wind bobbins
And I *think* that about covers it for today? Hmm... I'd better enlist some help and be sure I stay off of my iDevices or I'll never accomplish everything on my list! Wish me luck!!
I've decided to wrap up my No/Low Spend July today... I have a friend visiting from AZ for a few days (Saturday till Monday) and while I'm not expecting to do any "heavy duty" spending, I'd like to (hopefully) not stress about finances while she's here all the same and just enjoy our few days together!
Here's how my month went!
I had two main goals for the month of July that I wanted to reach...
- I wanted to bump our slush fund back up to $1K. It was at $465.00.
- I wanted to add $349.00 to our House savings.
And how did I do wish these goals?
Well our slush fund is currently sitting at $764.00. It *was* up over $1K, but I sent Dallas $500.00 today to help with his move to Toronto at the end of the month. He's trying to figure everything out and it's easier for him to have that in his savings so he can dole it out accordingly. So, that is why I'm short on this goal. I don't consider this a "fail" as I used it to help my oldest with his first move out of our home. Hopefully I'll be able to get it back up to my $1K goal again quickly, but I'm happy with this all the same!
As for our 20% down payment house savings, I blew that one out of the water!! I added well over $2K to that savings goal and hit our target goal months ahead of my goal date!! I am quite happy with this!
And I've also started working on a new savings goal - doubling our emergency fund. It's currently sitting at $5K, I'd like to get that up to $10K by January. I've added $335.00 to it this week! A tidy little sum to start the way!
It's been a great month overall. I've tweaked our budget to allow for the maximum in savings, and have really cut back on all shopping. The kids have earned some money and spent it on books, video games, etc... But they earned it fair & square and that's ok by me. They want money, they're welcome to earn it, and they do so willingly! They understand hard work = income.
About our budget, after having a month with 2 weeks of going (way) over-budget, i've decided to split up our weekly budget to see if I can do better with our grocery budget as well! Here's my plan for the week:
$310.00 weekly budget:
- $180.00 Groceries
- $10.00 Cat - food & litter
- $50.00 Specialty foods - Anything "special" we need to purchase food-wise. I need to save a chunk of this each week to go towards my monthly GF orders (Namaste baking mixes) and my local pork orders.
- $30.00 - Household
- $40.00 Misc - Everything else basically this has to cover.
Not sure if this budget will work our for us or not, but I'm going to give it a shot & see how I do! With just having a set amount for the week, it's far too easy to blow through most of it in one or two shopping trips then I'm stuck for the rest of the week and end up digging into our slush fund to get through the week. Sticking to this tight budget will allow our savings goals to keep going in the right direction! UP!!! I will continue to do a "main" budget post every week (Thursday or Friday) and will keep you afloat on how I'm doing with my financial goals and our budget! It's an ongoing process but it's nice to have others cheering me on and keeping me accountable
On that note I'm off for now... Enjoy your evening!
How did your July go? Did you reach your goals?