Tonight I was looking back at some of my older & cherished sewing projects and I started thinking about how much I miss doing my own thing... now that my customs are back open, (because bills & a kid on the way to University) my creativity has to be set aside so I can create what my customer wants. This fabric there, that fabric here, so on and so forth.
I really miss being creative on my own terms. Customs tend to squelch a lot of my creativity, unless my customer trusts me 100%, which doesn’t happen very often. I have a list of customs that i’m currently working through, and my feedback is pretty sparse. But that’s the way it is, i’m grateful for my custom work, but do wish I could squeeze more hours into my day sometimes.
Items like these are definitely more time consuming sometimes, but I do really enjoy creating them. The step by step process really is quite enjoyable and stress free! Choosing fun projects, adding special little touches, and just thinking and creating my way through an item without worrying about what anyone else thinks or wants.
All of the items below were items I just made on my own terms, with my own creativity, except for the patchwork NCW I believe, but even that I think I was given “free reign” on doing what I wanted to within a certain colour scheme. And isn’t it a fun one!?
I definitely have to find a way, and some time to be more creative and have sewing time that’s 100% on my own terms. It feeds my soul.... but it’s tough. It’s really tough honestly, there are only so many hours in the day and it seems hard enough to find enough work hours in the day in between kid stuff, house stuff, running errands, so on and so forth. I sure do envy those who seem to “do it all” or can afford not to have to do it all!
I’m trying to simplify things a little for myself, set some boundaries and ease my stress level of being “on call” 24/7, whenever my phone *dings* me because someone “needs me” or just my knowledge. Or you know, when google is down & i’m the only one who could possibly know where to find a certain fabric or zipper... lol!
Onwards, here’s my plan:
This morning I changed the hours on my page to a more realistic time frame along with my ‘away’ message set for evening hours & Sundays. So now my challenge is to actually *ignore* messages that come in during the evening hours and on Sundays, so I can have some downtime where i’m not forever & always at someone else’s ‘beck & call’.
I’m also going to write myself a sewing schedule for the week ahead on Sundays and will be trying to show myself some grace & compassion by:
- Having a realistic sewing goal list for the week. Not a list that requires me to ignore everything else in my life in order to accomplish an overloaded sewing schedule.
- Stick to said sewing schedule.
- Having a longer turnaround time for custom work. Custom work is very time consuming, so extra time for choosing fabrics, msg’ing back & forth, etc... means that by the time everything has been chosen, extra time is needed.
- Giving myself a couple days during the week for “RTS” (ready to ship items) and some “creative/selfish sewing”.
- Ignoring the constant *dings* of my phone after 5pm and on Sundays. This alone will be a huge break for me as I get messages at all hours of the day & night. I feel bad ignoring them, so I reply, but then it interrupts whatever I was doing and my entire focus is lost.
This is my plan, i’m really hoping I can make it work, ‘cause somethings gotta give! *wink*
Take a peek at the pretties below and leave a comment telling me which is your favourite! I’d love to hear why as well!! Enjoy your evening!